Sen. Mike Lee’s Amendment #3897 to prohibit funds for AFFH
Following is the rest of the story if you’re still unclear about the upcoming Senate vote after reading the two previous articles Lee Amendment Can Stop AFFH by Stanley Kurtz and The Senate Votes on AFFH this Week! by Sen. Mike Lee himself.
First, nobody knows exactly when the Senate will be voting on the bill; it could be today, tomorrow, or next week; but it will be voted on very soon. Secondly, the final language is not official until the last minute, but this morning Sen. Mike Lee’s staff provided a copy, click amendment #3897 by “McConnell for Lee”, transcribed as follows:
Purpose: To prohibit the use of funds to carry out a rule and notice of the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
AMENDMENT intended to be proposed by Mr. Lee (for himself, Mr. Vitter, Mr. Cotton, and Mr. Shelby)
[note that the staff has informed me that all of the cosponsors of S. 1909 are continuing to support the effort with includes Senators Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Michael Enzi, Jefferson Sessions, and Steve Daines.]
- At the appropriate place insert Division A insert the following:
- ___. None of the funds made available by this
- Act may be used to carry out the final rule of the Depart-
- Ment of Housing and Urban Development entitled “Af-
- Firmatively Furthering Fair Housing” (80 Fed. Reg.
- 42272 (July 16, 2015)) or to carry out the notice of the
- Department of Housing and Urban Development entitled
- “Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing Assessment
- Tool” (79 Fed. Reg 57949 (September 26, 2014)).
Action: Call your Senator and tell them to “support Sen. Lee’s amendment #3897 to the Transportation, Housing and Urban Development appropriations for 2017“.
Contact your Senators’ information here.
If this passes the Senate the country is on the way to being free again!